Google

Thursday, March 03, 2005

new lighting from led's

I have been watching the progress of the developement of led's, (light emitting diodes). I would like to be able to use them, to reduce my lighting costs, around my home and shop.
The prices are still on the high side.
As the led light bulbs come down in price, they would make a good fit for your lighting needs.

Look at the price of led christmas lights this past christmas, they came out at a reasonable price, and are just about indestructable.
I bought some and they are rated for 200,000 hrs. (22 years if I left them on all year long).
There were some boasting 50,000 hr. life span, at about half the cost and not as bright.

At the same time I have been looking at the prices of solar panels. They have come down in price significantly in the last few years and are now becoming a excelent, cost efficient backup for normal Hydro electric power.

With the rising cost of Hydro, and the threat of brown-outs, or worse yet, hydro failures, like the ones we have been seeing more of, over the last few years.

Installing a small Solar system, (45-50 watts) can handle at least some of your lighting, and small appliance use.
Depending where you live, it may be worth further look at.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home